Charlotte 2030: Create It, Make It, Move It (Zeiss-Saunders-Gallis, 2011) – Please click on the image to open.
Brookings Institution’s Greater Charlotte in a Global Economy assessment commissioned by the Global Vision Leaders Group – Please click on the image to open.
Global Vision Leaders Group Strategic Plan 2016-2018 – Please click on the image to open.
JOHN PAUL GALLES, CAE, SES
704.576.0477 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Charlotte, NC 28277
TRANSFORMATION LEADERSHIP, STRATEGIC PLANNING, COMMUNICATIONS, MARKETING
Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, and Community Engagement | Senior Executive Service
Visionary organization executive with substantial private enterprise and public policy experience at local, state and federal levels providing thought leadership, innovative insights and creative solution skills. Obtained SES status indicating well-honed executive skills and a broad perspective on government and public service. A unique blend of experience, energy, enthusiasm and passion for strategic communications amid rapidly changing dynamics and transformative disruptions. Collaborative, confident, versatile, and future-focused with a proven record of success demonstrating core competencies in:
Organization Management | Strategic Planning | Marketing & Communications | Targeted Messaging | Public Policy | Lobbying |
Public Affairs | Community Relations | Team Builder | Critical, Innovative & Creative | Story-Telling | Media Management
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE | Certified Association Executive
Director, Galles Consulting | Charlotte, NC 2018 – Present
Project consulting in change leadership, communications, media management, and economic development:
- Charlotte Youth Soccer Initiative – A Rotary Club-driven soccer initiative to deliver soccer opportunities to inner-city youth at lower socioeconomic schools across the city.
- Centralina Council of Governments – Strategy consultation on regional impact and increasing leadership participation in regional transit, conference planning, sponsors, collaboration, fundraising, communications, economic development.
CEO/B2B Communications, Marketing, & Publishing – CLT.biz LLC | Charlotte, NC 1999 – 2018
Regional business communications platform focused on regional growth and development across the Carolinas. Monthly magazine and newsletter (advertising-based) to a controlled circulation of NC and SC business owners, managers and executives. Training, Sandler Sales Institute. Creation of iOS App in Apple Store. Videography services for businesses. Development of regional iMap Flash app for business and destination purposes (captive Google knowledge graph). QRazee promotion and generation of stylized QR codes. Promotion of business communications: company branding and logo, messaging, custom newsletters; social media. Successfully executed sale of intellectual property.
- Grew annual business revenues to over $1,000,000.
- Built subscription database to over 150,000 business executives.
- Transitioned Greater Charlotte Biz magazine from 18 years in print to digital-only platform and app.
- Published over 200 magazine issues including over 1,200 business profiles and over 500 white papers.
- Launched custom publishing for businesses including award-winning Ballantyne Corporate Park.
- Produced and published region’s premier annual economic development guides (2001 to 2008).
Public Affairs Liaison –Secretary for Reserve Affairs, U.S. Defense Department | Washington, D.C. 1997 – 1999
Senior Executive Service. Presidential appointment as Special Assistant to the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) to facilitate engagement of reserve members between civilian employment and armed forces.
- Developed and crafted over $55M PSA spots in a public service advertising campaign with the Ad Council educating public and employers to USERRA law and responsibilities.
- Negotiated over $1M increase in ESGR operating expense budget when all other budgets were being cut.
- Investigated stress of rapid and multiple deployments on National Guard and Reserve members.
Marketing/Director of Development – The Welfare to Work Partnership | Washington, DC 1997
Presidential appointment to national nonprofit to facilitate moving people from welfare to work, recruiting private employers and federal, state, and local entities to enlist employer commitments and engage welfare recipients.
- Expanded initiative to federal, state and local agencies and non-profit entities.
- Recruited 16,000-plus employers in eight-month national campaign.
- Arranged hires of an additional 14,018 recipients, exceeding initiative’s goal by 40%.
Trade Association President & CEO – National Small Business Association | Washington, DC 1987 – 1997
Certified Association Executive. Recruited specifically to lead a turnaround of nation’s oldest and foremost national trade association for small business and remained head of operations through its growth and transition to sustainability.
- Managed team of direct reports; grew budget to $2.5 million; managed outside lobbying firm.
- Advocated small business interests before the U.S. Congress, the White House, federal agencies, media and the public; frequent Congressional testimony and television appearances; conducted media training.
- Renewed and boosted existing member sponsor Mutual of Omaha and negotiated over $2M in new sponsorships with AT&T and Arthur Andersen.
- Increased individual memberships by over 50,000 and added 9 organizational members with over 60,000 members nationwide.
- Lobbied for repeal of Section 89 of the 1986 Tax Reform Act; saving the Small Business Administration (SBA) from elimination and expanded its funding; survival of the Exim Bank and the Small Business Innovative Research Act; the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 leading to first balanced budget in 35 years; health care tax credits for self-employed and health care reform for small businesses.
- Planned and executed all association strategies serving small business interests on federal level with the 30-member Board of Directors and outside lobbying consultants.
- Created and conducted Annual NSBA Small Business Survey and media tour.
- Launched monthly magazine, Small Business USA to communicate with association members.
Trade Association President & CEO – Small Business Association of Michigan | Lansing, MI 1980 – 1987
Stepped in to lead fledgling organization from startup to statewide association of small businesses to advocate member interests before state and federal governments; Congressional testimony and television appearances.
- Built $1.5M budget; managed outside lobbying firm.
- Increased membership from 700 to over 2,700 and revenues by 400%.
- Lobbied for: cuts to the Single Business Tax; raising claim ceiling for recovery in small claims court; reduced regulations on worker’s compensation and lowered unemployment insurance tax; opened opportunity for private investment from the Michigan Strategic Fund; advocated association positions to legislators and agencies and officials and lobbyists; launched monthly newsprint publication for association members; built coalitions and networks of organizations and legislators to push consensus on objectives.
COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP, CERTIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
Community Leadership and Service: Charlotte Rotary Club; Regional Charlotte Global Vision Leaders Group, Co-founder, Executive Committee; Greater Charlotte Regional Freight Mobility Plan, Steering Committee; Charlotte Douglas International Airport, Long-Range Planning Steering Committee; CPCC President’s Business Advisory Council for Workforce Development, Executive Committee; Carolina World Trade Association, Director; World Affairs Council of Charlotte; Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation; Campaign for Tony Zeiss to become U.S. Secretary of Education
Certifications & Education
Registered Lobbyist, Federal – State of Michigan and State of Indiana
Senior Executive Service (SES), U.S. Federal Government
Certified Association Executive (CAE), American Society of Association Executives
Government Affairs Certificate, U. S. Chamber of Commerce
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Management & Administration – Indiana University | Bloomington, IN
WTVI-PBS Off the Record programs, WTVI-PBS Carolina Business Review program, WBT Global Vision Leaders Group spots, commercial radio testimonials, CYSI promotional video, Nightly Business Report (NBR) appearances, Fox Business Lou Dobbs Tonight appearances, Wall Street Journal quotes.
Microsoft Office Suite, CRM and database management (ACT, Sugar, Access, etc.), broadcast mailing/event management (MailChimp, Constant Contact, Eventbrite, etc.), web programming (WordPress), and Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat, Premiere Pro.
JOHN PAUL GALLES, CAE, SES
704.576.0477 | email@example.com | Charlotte, NC 28277